We are very proud of our Music program at LACS! It is our goal to educate and share music in a fun and peer-motivating atmosphere, while giving opportunity for students to explore their God-given talents in the music classroom, chapel worship, and performances.
ELEMENTARY MUSIC: Students receive instruction on music concepts such as rhythm, melody, dynamics, tempo, scales, modes, proper singing techniques, and instruments including xylophones, glockenspiels, percussion, recorders, and boom-whackers. In addition, students create their own melodies, movements/dance, and have many opportunities for creativity and expression within the music classroom and performances.
- Kindergarten – 2 grade students enjoy singing and playing instruments such as glockenspiels, xylophones, and hand percussion.
- Grades 4– 5 grade students play recorders, xylophones, boom-whackers, and bucket drums.
MIDDLE SCHOOL MUSIC: Students enjoy a comprehensive music program which includes singing skills, rhythm, music genres, percussion, worship band, acting/stage presence, and performance. Middle and high school students also have the opportunity to work TECH (sound, lights, video) for our performances.
Our middle school students are featured playing marching band snare drums for events such as Visitor Days, Friday flagpole and musicals.
PERFORMANCES: LACS offers three large-scale music performances during the year. These performances create unity, camaraderie, dedication, discipline, self-confidence, stage presence, and a great deal of satisfaction.
- Christmas Musical K – 8 present a full musical drama which includes singing, choreography, and auditioned acting roles. High school students work TECH for performances.
- Spring performance alternates between an ALL-School Musical and International Day in which each grade level presents a performance about the country of their choosing.
- Talent Show takes place the last day of school involving all grade levels.
Our Music Education program is based around Orff-Schulwerk, Kindermusik, and MUSIC PLAY programs.
Music classes, chapels, and performances are led and directed by our Music teacher, Ms. Norita Hoegel.
“Sing and make music in your hearts unto the Lord” Ephesians 5:19.
Norita Hoegel, Music Teacher
Norita Hoegel came to LACS in 2016 after teaching music her entire career at a private school in Cupertino. As a singer-songwriter, she produced two children’s albums, Hand in Hand and Chapel Songs, and had the privilege of touring with two Christian bands, Lifeline and The Balance. She was the director of Fusion Children’s Community Chorus (2009-2014) and Common Ground (a high-school-aged, touring-performing ministry) for 25 years. Ms. Hoegel is passionate about giving students the opportunity to explore their God-given talents through singing, dancing, and playing instruments in the music classroom or taking the stage for musical productions.
Ms. Hoegel has two grown daughters. She enjoys yoga, tap dancing, going to the beach, and live music. “Sing and make music in your hearts unto the Lord.”